Welcome to 2021, where the days of FastPass are officially a thing of the past. Now it’s time to get into the Lightning Lane with the Disney Genie
The new service called Disney Genie is a FREE tool built right into the My Disney Experience app which we are all familiar with. Disney Genie creates personalized itineraries based on guest preferences and then guides you through the parks with tips including reduced wait times.
Disney Genie Highlights
- Continuously updated daily itinerary
- Personal tip board that displays current and forecasted wait times
- Virtual queue option for some attractions
- Mobile food ordering at many locations
- Virtual assistant
What is Disney Genie+?
Disney Genie+ is the PAID upgrade to the Genie App. It has all the features of Disney Genie plus a few more. For $15 a day per person, you can upgrade your experience to choose the next available time to arrive at many experiences and attractions using the Lightning Lane entrance. You’ll make one selection at a time throughout the day starting at 7 AM EST and based on availability. Basically, you are now paying for easier access to specific rides and attractions.
Disney Genie+ Highlights
- Same great features as the free service
- $15 per day per person
- Lightning Lane access to many experiences and attractions (selected one at a time starting at 7 AM the day of your visit)
- Disney parks-themed audio experiences
- Augmented reality features that enhance your park experience
So what is Lightning Lane and how is it different from Disney Genie you ask? Well you need the Genie+ to access Lightning Lane and Genie+ doesn’t get you to all the rides and experiences. For some of the most popular experiences Lightning Lane will be your only option. Lightning Lane is also very limited with only two attractions per day.
Lightning Lane Highlights
- Guests pay a flat rate (which will probably change based on date, demand, park, etc.) to schedule two individual Lightning Lane attractions each day
- These attractions are typically the most popular in the parks and often have extremely limited availability
- This a la carte option is NOT available on Genie+ but must be purchased separately
It’s a lot to take in, we know!
Change is not easy but with time the new system will be a great tool.